Tuesday, February 9, 2010

To weigh or not to weigh

Well I think I have to start by saying that Sunday night's bread did NOT turn out. Rather than the light fluffy delicious loaves I'd imagined, I got two dense lumps. I don't hate dense breads, so I cut a slice off one of the loaves and did not attempt to disguise it with butter or any other spread. I wanted the genuine flavour of my very own bread. It was awful. I've since discussed some of the possible pit falls with a friend whose family owns a very succesful local bakery and I think I've figured out a few of the places I went wrong. Apparently it is almost impossible to get bread to rise properly using only whole wheat flour, further to this I think the flour was stale. So there we have our dense loaves, and our crappy flavour. To top it off my apartment is pretty cold, so the dough was likely not warm enough while it was trying to rise. I was going to take picture of my sad little loaves, but hubby threw them out before I had the chance. Just as well. I will try again, although I'm not sure how I'm going to get around the white flour issue, as it is one of the things I'm trying to avoid. I'll have to do some investigating. I'll report back when I have more info on that.

One of my struggles over the last few days has been whether or not to weigh myself. I am so used to my Weight Watchers routine that not weighing myself every week (especially when I'm feeling the results might be good) is a hard habit to break. Part of me wants the reward of seeing that number go down, and part of me needs to quantify the results of my new venture. But I keep going back to my first post, where I said that this wasn't going to be about weight loss, but about health. How can this not be about weight loss if I am weighing myself? I can say with certainty that my clothes are fitting better, and I feel less bloated. So for now that is going to have to be enough.

Some challenges are coming my way this week... namely dinner at my mother-in-laws, followed by 4 days at my mom's place in Raleigh, NC. I'm not too worried about these, but it is going to be hard to relinquish control so early in the game. There are also the issues of having to spend about a half day travelling,each way. Normally I would pack up some veggies, etc to take with me. This is what I did for the trips to and from the cabin this weekend, since both times they fell during meal times. I'm a little worried about having trouble "bringing" vegetables across the border. That may sound paranoid, because it's not as thought I'm planning on landing in the US with my snacks. A few years ago an unfriendly border guard (shocking I know, they're usually so sunny) accused me of lying about not having any food to bring into the US because I was carrying a Tim Horton's bagel. If anyone has any suggestions that might prevent me from having to eat dinner at the McDonald's in O'Hare (I have a layover there from 4 to 8 pm) I'd love to hear your ideas.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, while I don't fly often and didn't have any suggestions for you, I'd love to hear how the layovers went.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found the blog through fb..... Do you remember when we made bread together?
    Sounds like this batch turned out the same way as ours did way back when.

    Trick for letting things rise when your place is cold. (I learnt this from Bethany) Before you are ready to let your dough rise, set your oven to 200, once it reaches that temp turn it off. Then let your dough rise in the oven, the oven will stay just warm enough to let things rise.
    -Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do remember... in fact it reminded me very much of that day.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete