Wednesday, February 24, 2010

4 Weeks and Counting

Yesterday marked 4 weeks, or 28 days, since the day I decided to make a change. 28 days seems like a good time to pause to evaluate how things are going. I believe it is the standard amount of rehab programs for those tackling addiction (or maybe just the name of a really bad Sandra Bullock movie on the subject). I decided last night that I would weigh myself. I've been holding out, but figured that once a month wouldn't hurt. Funny thing though, the batteries on my scale died. So I'll have to hold out a little longer... maybe we'll make it every two months. Or not at all. Maybe I'm becoming a little too fatalistic, but I feel like there was a reason the scale stopped working. I know, I know, batteries are bound to run out eventually regardless of messages the Universe might be trying to send me. The bottom line is that my clothes are fitting better. Last night hubby noted that I had visibly lost weight... when the person you live with notices a change you know something is happening. Now all this was not about weight loss, but being healthier. I can honestly say that my focus has changed... I don't think every day about how many calories or "points" I've consumed. I don't spend my time trying to figure out how little I can eat during the day so that I can snack in the evening. In fact, I rarely snack in the evening any more.

There are a few other things that have changed. I spend ages in the grocery store, hunting down the perfect loaf of bread. I've found some of the most delicious breads I've ever eaten. I don't focus on the cost, or calorie count of the things I buy... instead I read the ingredient labels. Last week I paid $1 more for Worcesteshire (sp?) sauce that had a short, recognizable list of ingredients. We have not saved money. The good news is that we've all but stopped eatting out and ordering food, so we've pretty much balanced out on this one.

I've discovered that I don't have to make EVERYTHING myself, but I can make most things and enjoy doing it. If you pay attention there are almost always versions of things with better ingredients. You can buy peanut butter with nothing but peanuts in it... or like my best friend and her partner, you can make it yourself and save yourself paying someone else to do it for you. It is super gratifying to eat food you made with your own hands and know that it is nourishing you.

I've discovered that avacodo is one of the best things you can spread on toast or a sandwich!

Most of all I feel proud of myself. For the first time in years I'm not getting down on myself for breaking down and making bad choices. It might seem like all this should be hard, and it has had its moments. But I really believe that this is the best decision I've ever made for myself and that makes it incredibly easy.

Lastly, 4 weeks in seems like a good time to thank all of you. Thank you to those of you who have been supportive. Thank you for the encouragement. Thank you for the tips, ideas, articles, videos, recipes, etc. Thank you to those who have told me I've been inspiring... that means more than I can say. Thank you just for reading. Most of all thanks to my husband who has been good humoured, supportive and encouraging in all of this.

Upward and onward into month two... I'll keep you all posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment