Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Chocolate covered bacon, and other scenes from an airport

Airports are funny places. They are generally home to two different kinds of traveler. There are the nervous travelers, leery of this foreign landscape, always worried about the next leg of the journey... there are so many obstacles for these people, it's no wonder every small step is nerve wracking... a slow check in line, followed by the security line up, the worry that security or customs will "bust" you with some accidental contraband. Then if you have a layover, the anxiety of whether or not your first flight will make you late for your second, not to mention having to navigate the strange landscape of unknown airports. The second type of travelers are the business folk, who fly 100+ times a year. These people seldom look worried. They know that there are always airport hotels and later flights. To be fair, they seldom have to worry that they might lose a day of precious vacation time.

I watched all this going on around me on my way from Winnipeg to Raleigh, North Carolina, last week. The line to check in for my flight was unbelievably slow, thank you to United Airline's superb customer service :P, compounded by a long security line, etc. I know that when I check in only 20 minutes before my flight, and still have to hit customs and security, I might be in trouble. I also know that if half to three quarters of the other people on my flight are with me, that plane is not going anywhere for a bit. I float somewhere in between these two types of travelers. I fly frequently enough to know it's mostly all hurry up and wait. However, I do generally have those precious vacation days at stake, so I still don't like the idea of being hung up in Chicago overnight.

I started my trip to Raleigh with a new set of worries I don't normally even consider. I'd be travelling from mid-afternoon to about 11 pm. So what on earth was I going to eat for dinner? I'd read somewhere that a Mexican place can be an ok option because you can always get a bean burrito and rice. I've been through O'Hare international about a thousand times, and I had no recollection of any Mexican restaurants. With that in mind I'd tried to smuggle an apple in my purse. I'd thought about just keeping my mouth shut and hoping no one would notice. However, lying to customs, or rather trying to pull a fast one on them, has not once gone my way.

"Any food with you mam?" The US Boarder Guard inquired. "Just an apple in my purse." I replied casually. He went through his litany... and just when I thought I was in the clear, he added: "Just see the man in this office and show him your apple." Um, ok. I turn the corner into the room he's pointed at. The man looks up from the counter. "Can I help you mam?" He smiles. "I’m supposed to show you my apple." I'm informed that if my apple has a sticker I might be able to take it. Presumably they want to know that it was grown in the US. My apple is BC Organic, but it has no sticker to defend itself with. Some crazy person removed it when she washed her apple that morning. I have two options, I can eat my apple or I can throw it away. I'm full from lunch and have less than 20 minutes until my flight. Still, I hate to throw away perfectly good food. I offered it to the Border Guard. He declined.

So now here i am in Chicago, apple-less. I'm not hungry yet, but I like to gather what I need, find my gate and stay put. So I'm trying to forage for something I can eat. I will get McDonald's if I have to, but I'm not ready to break that big just yet. In my hunt for something to eat, I notice another strange thing about airports... they've become mini-cities. Aside from all the retail outlets, there are a McDonald's and a Starbuck's on every corner. But when you look more closely there are other options, you just have to be watching for them. I found a shop with fruit and nuts on display in the window. The apples and pears are alarmingly large, but given the choice between a GMO'd pear and a Big Mac, I'll take the pear. I also bought some nuts and dried fruit. Not really a meal, I know, but enough to get me through the evening, and stay true to my mission.

Just a side note, to finish things up... While in line buying my fruit and nuts I notice something slightly disturbing... a piece of bacon dipped in chocolate masquerading as a candy bar... is there nothing we won't eat???

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This whole bacon 'revolution' is alarming, for sure. Selling it at the counter?! Uck! And also, tacky. I feel that it's the type of thing one would find in a cheesy discount souvenir T-shirt shop on a tourist infested strip.

    Anyways, I'm glad you found something to eat. Airports these days have a little more variety in way of healthy eatings, not much - but enough to keep you going :)

    ReplyDelete